Dubai: Global Hub for Islamic Finance
You may be aware that we recently put out a white paper based on data provided by Thomson Reuters that seeks to propel Dubai to the forefront of the Islamic asset management industry.
Create Your FREE Account…
IslamicBanker helps professionals navigate Islamic markets by providing powerful insights, analytics and collaboration tools.
Discussed on CNBC Arabiya from minute 3 onwards
The full paper is here:
- Despite huge international potential, the Islamic asset management sector remains greatly underdeveloped.
- The industry has failed to take root amongst its core demographic. Total AUMs represent a tiny fraction of global funds and product offering is narrow, parochial, lacking choice, diversification and quality.
- GCC investors demand more sophisticated Shari'a compliant savings, pensions, insurance and fund products, and diversify asset classes and geographies.
- Islamic pension fund industry has a long way to catch up globally (US$27 trillion of global pension funds, of which 0.001% is Islamic, despite Muslim population almost one quarter of the world's).
- By diverting 20% of investments in existing regional pension funds into Shari'a compliant funds, US$36 billion would be added to the global Islamic asset management industry, spurring rapid innovation and enabling Dubai to capture the market and transform its Islamic finance industry.
- There is a significant opportunity to capture the crossover between Islamic and ESG investing.
- We recommend the start of a public consultation exercise to accelerate growth of the industry in Dubai.